There are over 80 different types of massage therapies, and many benefits and reasons to seek out trained therapists. Massage therapy in general, in any form, has been credited with lowering stress, relieving tension, anxiety and depression, reducing need for pain medicines and relaxation.
- What is it?
- Pressure applied to muscles and soft tissues to ease tension and pain.
- When is it used?
- For health problems, injuries, pain, post-surgical rehabilitation and relaxation.
- Is it effective?
- Massage is the most highly recommended therapy for any injuries, painful areas, trouble spots and stiffness caused by an accident or sickness. It can reduce pain and soreness to the point where anti-inflammatory and pain medicines can be reduced or eliminated.
- Massage is a style of deliberate pressure strokes on muscles, tendons and fascia. It can be either corrective or therapeutic. Massage is effective for relieving chronic tension, muscle injuries and back sprains.
- What should I expect?
- It will last anywhere from 30 minutes to 2 hours. The atmosphere will be calm, with soothing music; pleasing scents, soft lighting and you will lie on a specially designed table.
- Do I have to be completely undressed?
- Depends on what is comfortable for you. A full body massages works best if you are completely undressed.
- Do I get covered with a towel or sheet?
- Yes, this is called draping. Only the area being worked on at the time will be uncovered.
- What do I do?
- Relax and enjoy.
- Will the massage hurt?
- It shouldn’t unless you are recovering from surgery or an injury. Pain can be an indication that the muscle is possibly injured or inflamed and pressure can be adjusted. Pain may cause you to tighten up, which negates the positives of massage, so care will be made to be gentle.
- May I talk during the massage?
- Sure if you would like to.
- How will I feel afterwards?
- Most people feel very relaxed. Some experience a significant decrease or freedom from long-term aches and pains. Many feel lethargic for a short period and then notice an increase of energy, heightened awareness and increased productivity which can last for days.